WHERE HISTORY LIVES PART 25: CORTLANDT TOWN HALL

For many years, the offices of The Town of Cortlandt were located within the Croton Municipal Building. As the Town of Cortlandt grew, this proved inadequate, and the Town Board decided to seek its own dedicated home.

The Town Board began searching for suitable locations. The then Supervisor Jack Gaffney and Councilwoman Linda Puglisi, spearheaded this project. It was also supported by then Councilman Edward Carter and George Oros. It was learned that the Lakeland school district would be closing the Van Cortlandtville elementary School, the oldest elementary school in Lakeland Central School. It was originally built as a W.P.A. project, with only nine rooms, and opened in 1935. Significant additions to the school were made 1942, 1958, in 1968. The Lakeland school district closed the facility in 1987, due to declining enrollment. The building is approximately 30,000 ft.² and set on 6.1 acres. At its peak, there were approximately 600 students plus teachers, staff, and custodians utilizing the building.

On September 4, 1990 the Town Board passed resolution number 273 – 90 authorizing the purchase of the old Van Cortlandtville School, subject to mandatory permissive referendum. The purchase price for the building was $1,250,000. In addition, it was estimated that renovations would cost an additional $700,000. On election day Tuesday, November 6, 1990 voters were asked to vote yes or no on the following: "shall the town of Cortlandt town Board be allowed to appropriate funding for the purchase and renovation of the old Van Cortlandtville school located on Heady Street in the town from the Lakeland School District for uses a town hall"? The voters in their majority approved the purchase. Mr. Vincent Nyberg, then Deputy Town Engineer for whom the General meeting room was eventually named, was selected to be the architect and engineer for the renovations of the building. The town engineering department served as the general contractors for this project. On January 2, 1990 to the town Board authorized $110,000 to be used from the capital reserve fund and an additional $500,000 to be bonded to cover the cost of the renovations.

During the construction process, Linda D. Puglisi became Town Supervisor. During renovations and upon vacating the Croton Municipal Building, Town Board meetings were held at the Community Center on Westbrook Drive. The first official meeting of the Cortlandt Town Board at the new Town Hall took place on December 8, 1992. On Sunday, December 13, 1992 a Cortlandt Town Hall Dedication Ceremony took place at the newly renovated facility. 

The property includes the main hall, multiple departmental offices, as well as a beautiful courtyard, and a 60 foot baseball diamond-- the home field for the Girls Softball League. The Cortlandt Town Hall hosts monthly Town Board, Zoning Board, and Planning Board meetings, as well as many committee meetings. The town Justice Court and the Westchester County Police Precinct are also housed within the building.

This year will mark the 34th anniversary of the opening of Cortlandt's Town Hall.

Please note: this is the 25th and last installment of articles on the history of the Town of Cortlandt. The series was created to honor our town, as part of America's 250th anniversary. We plan to publish all of the articles together in the coming months in book form. We will make this available to the public at our cost, later this year. Stay tuned….

Richard H. Becker, MD

Town Supervisor